Monday 29 April 2013

The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkein



          The Hobbit was one of the first full-length novels I ever read, back in my childhood so many years ago. Back then I was hooked. Bilbo Baggins was a good protagonist, growing from just an un-ambitious Hobbit at the start of the story to a giant-spider killing hero about mid-way through. By the time I finished I was whole-heartedly in love with Tolkein’s fantasy world, though the sequel looked a little above my reading abilities at the time. With the prompting of Peter Jackson’s recent film, I have gone back to the original story and found myself a little underwhelmed.

          I knew what to expect, a simple children’s story with only a hint of Tolkein’s future developments, but I have to say the first few chapters were a bit disappointing even with this knowledge in mind. The story was dull and completely see-through; the Wizard Gandalf and a bunch of Dwarves show up at Bilbo’s house, lay out the premise of journeying to the Lonely Mountain, killing the dragon Smaug and reclaiming a great pile of treasure, and Bilbo, after a bit of persuading, agrees to accompany them for a share in said treasure. That all happens in the first chapter, and most of the book consists of random tangents and obstacles on the way towards that goal. The second chapter was probably the lowest point, where the group happens across the three trolls, and then Gandalf pulls a rabbit out of a hat and solves everything. During most of the book, the characters are still just a mess, the thirteen dwarves are merely a series of names, and it’s up to Gandalf to sort out literally everything that goes wrong. He leaves the group about half-way through the story for an unspecified reason, and this just goes to highlight how useless the whole Dwarf-company actually are – during the long slog through Mirkwood it’s up to Bilbo, the wild-card newcomer, to virtually carry the rest of the characters through.

          The Dwarves really are a useless bunch of faceless no-hopers, as far as characters go. That there are thirteen of them could have meant that some could have been fleshed out into fully-functioning characters; but no, they’re all effectively the same, bar the cursory input of Thorin, Fili/Kili, and Bombur the overweight comic-relief, and they act more like padding for the story rather than anything worthwhile.

          Okay, maybe I’m being a little too critical of this. Yes, I know it’s a children’s story, and I remember enjoying it when I was a youngster. If the story were more complicated then it might miss the point, and ignorance of a majority of the characters probably helps the reader to focus on Bilbo, as the protagonist. Right, now I’ve got my major gripes out of the way I’ll be a bit more positive.

          The best character? Gollum, the demented creature whom Bilbo exchanges riddles with, and inadvertently steals a magic ring from. Long before I became familiar with The Lord of the Rings, Gollum was the character who most stayed in my mind from The Hobbit. He’s just so vastly different from any of the other character in the book, so much more detailed in personality and speech. That his background is never explicitly revealed, only hinted at, is the best thing about him – a creature living underground, full of malice and treachery, but who has dim recollections of a time when this was not so. However, I have since learned that this might well be because of Tolkein’s subsequent revision of the character, after the original publication of the book; the reason Gollum might be more interesting is because he was one of several changes made in later editions of the novel, after Tolkein began work on The Lord of the Rings. Oh well; unless you read a first edition that won’t prove to be an issue, for in my copy he’s one of the best bits.

          One thing I should say is that The Hobbit starts off badly, but gets slowly better as it progresses. It’s not until the last quarter of the book that I really properly began to enjoy the thing. Smaug the dragon was quite excellent as an antagonist, but the real villain of the story was something quite unexpected. All through the novel we’ve known where it was going to end; at a confrontation with the dragon. But it’s the consequences of undertaking the quest that proves to be the real antagonist. The killing of Smaug sets off a chain of events that leads to a quite serious final few chapters, where what was once a simple children’s story about a quest in a world of magic gradually finds its feet as a tale of greed, and the consequences of the quest. I actually really enjoyed this bit, and it was worth getting through the crappy trolls in chapter two, and the slog through Mirkwood, just to reach this last section.

          I don’t think I can whole-heartedly recommend you read The Hobbit, as there are a couple of problems with it. Then again, as I said before it gets better as you go along, and by the time Bilbo and company reach the Lonely Mountain the real story has begun. You probably know already if you’re a fan of Tolkein, in which case I’ve probably just wasted your time. A real look at Tolkein will involve digesting The Lord of the Rings, because The Hobbit by comparison is just a cheesy little prologue, a wafer-thin hint at what is still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment