Tuesday 23 October 2012

The Bible: Overview

With the finality of Revelations, my quest to read the entire Bible (cover to cover) has been a success. It only took me a month, as well.

And by the 'entire' Bible, I mean the 66 books and Epistles one normally finds in most versions; none of the Apocrypha or Deuterocanonical books. I should correct that after a break.


Yes, much of the Old Testament is basically painfully detailed descriptions of the Ark of the Covenant, and the Tabernacle, and of the tedious rituals the priests were meant to perform. This lasts from about halfway through Exodus, all the way through Leviticus and Numbers, until he end of Deuteronomy. Joshua and Judges were a bit more interesting, but they get a bit repetitive after a while. There are good bits in Kings 1&2, but again it gets repetitive, and Chronicles was just a summing-up, as far as I could see, because there was very little new material. Ezra and Nehemiah I really enjoyed; maybe because King Artaxerxes of Persia has a guest appearance, and Ruth was short and sweet, so I liked that one. I found Job quite interesting, Psalms to be a little drab, but pleasant nonetheless, and Proverbs was quite good, if that's how you like your literature, and Ecclesiastes was an unexpectedly amazing find. It is, as far as can work out, a Nihilistic essay on the meaning of life, something I never expected to find in the Bible of all places. 

The rest of the prophets I found difficult to understand, except for Daniel; I quite enjoyed that one. I'm still trying to make up my mind on the new testament. The Gospel of Matthew was my least favourite, I'll reveal that much. I think Luke or John were the better ones, and I found Revelations to be quite 'trippy', if I could use that expression for any bit of the Bible. Lots of weird imagery That Could Be Interpreted In A Number of Different Ways.

Anyway, this was my trail of thoughts after reading through the Bible for the first time. Parts of it are worthy of re-reading, but I'll move onto less theologically-laden stuff for the immediate future.

No comments:

Post a Comment